Denise Goldberg's blog

A tale of two
Two Acadias, two wheels, two feet

Friday, August 22, 2008

Up, down, lots of stairs

It was an oatmeal morning again. Yesterday's oatmeal and fresh fruit gave me such a nice start to the day that I decided that repeating it today would be a good idea. Happy stomach...

Food, conversations, and watching eagles soar across another impossibly blue sky, a prelude to walking...

I headed to Point Wolfe and started walking at the covered bridge. The trail was primarily stairs and boardwalks through the forest with views of Point Wolfe beach. I saw stairs off in the distance that led down to the beach. Those stairs looked to be further away than the length of the trail - and they were. The first trail ended at a parking lot, but at the other end of the lot I could see the start of another trail. Ah, that one leads to the beach. Of course I kept walking because I needed to visit one more New Brunswick beach before I switched to the rocky coastline in Maine. The trail wandered through the woods, trees decorated with sunshine filtering through through the leaves.

Once I hit the beach, I managed to stick to the rocks and the hard sand - there was just a little bit of mud, and somehow my feet skipped over the mud this time. That was good - I didn't need to look for a place to wash the mud away.

Back in the car, I started heading up route 114 toward the park exit. The road climbed quickly, and before long I was at the head of the Kinnie Brook trail. The description of this trail drew me in: 'steep-walled valley, disappearing stream, lush floodplain'. It was all true - even the disappearing stream. There may have been running water somewhere there, but I didn't see it. Yup, disappearing... It was a nice trail, even without the stream. Oh, and while most of this trail wandered through woods on a normal trail surface, the end of the trail was stairs and stairs and more stairs. No, I didn't count them, but there were a lot!

My goal was to spend the morning in the park, and I certainly managed that. I finished my last hike right at noon.

Ah, time for that long drive to Acadia number two for this trip.