Denise Goldberg's blog

A tale of two
Two Acadias, two wheels, two feet

Monday, August 11, 2008

Maps & tales

...courtesy of Rover

If you've been following our travels then you already know Denise, and you know me too. But in case this is your first glimpse into a Denise journal...

My name is Rover, and I travel with Denise. I'm a little red dog, but I talk and write like a person. Oh, sometimes I bark too - but just when I get really excited... I usually ride with the cameras, although sometimes I wander through one of the other bags - especially if I think that Denise is carrying chocolate for a quick energy fix. Oh! I like chocolate! We don't usually have the really good melty stuff with us when we wander in the sun, but it's been kind of cool so far this month. And we're heading north. It's supposed to be cooler as we get further north, isn't it?

Oops! Denise just reminded me that you might be more interested in our trip than in my addiction to chocolate...

As you read this journal, if you see slanty-looking letters, then I wrote those words. I think that Denise wants to do some of the writing, so we will probably share playing with words on this trip.

A surprise for Denise arrived in the mail today. I borrowed the computer while Denise was at work to order a decent map of New Brunswick. Denise had a (free) map that she picked up as we passed through New Brunswick on our way to Prince Edward Island back in 2005, but it was making her a little crazy. Our new MapArt map showed up today. Much better!

And oh! did you know that the province has two names? Well, not really two names, but two languages are used there - so the map has two names on it - Nouveau-Brunswick, and New Brunswick. According to a very interesting article that I found while jumping on the computer's keyboard, 'the character of this coastal area is distinctly French'. It also points out the bilingual nature of the province is such that people there switch effortlessly between languages. When Denise called for B&B reservations the initial greeting was in French at a couple of the B&Bs, but the owners switched to English quickly.

You can jump over to the article on the Acadian coast of New Brunswick if you'd like. No wonder Denise thinks it will be a good place to wander!