Denise Goldberg's blog

A tale of two
Two Acadias, two wheels, two feet

Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Sand dunes, boardwalks...

...and conversations with birds

Another good breakfast started my day... today's treat began wth some yogurt decorated with wild blueberrys, and continued wth french toast topped with fruit taste treats. Good food, good conversations, and it was time to roam.

The weather wizard apparently paid a little bit of attention to my wishes for a good weather day. I'd say it was a very lucky weather day. It rained during my morning drive. By the time I got to Kouchibouguac it was just drizzling, and the water totally stopped flying before I started walking. It stayed dry until my feet were getting close to the end of my boardwalk walk at Bouctouche. Drizzle, more drizzle, and then it started pouring. A wet drive is much preferred over a wet walk though - so I have no complaints at all about the weather.

It was a day of visiting with birds. Of watching great blue herons rise out of their hiding spot, of watching the sea gulls, the terns, and the scurrying plovers. Of listening to the birds talking with each other. Of watching hummingbird magic.

I've done it again. I visited someplace today that I absolutely need to visit again. And I suspect that there will be more than one of those 'I need to return' places by the end of this trip. I suppose I need to view my vist to Kouchibouguac as just an introduction. I spent a chunk of time walking on Kellys Beach, from the boardwalk to a long barrier island, sand dunes.

I had a quick taste of some other areas of the park too, but the mosquitos in the non-beach areas were vicious. I guess it was just meant to be a beach day.

I headed further to the south, and stopped for a walk at La Dune de Bouctouche. A curving two-kilometer long boardwalk protects the sand dunes and provides a higher viewpoint, a good wandering spot. I did walk along the beach too, but the boardwalk added some magic.

I ended the day surrounded by hummingbirds. Innisfree Bed and Breakfast, my home for the night has four hummingbird feeders hanging outside of the screened in porch - which luckily has a roof on it since the rain is still falling. I've been stting here, eating dnner, watching the birds, listening. The hummingbirds are flocking to the feeders and to the flowers - both planted and wild. They are chirping at each other, and I can hear the sound of their wings. Hummingbirds chasing hummingbirds, wild flight, hovering... what amazing creatures!


My hosts tonight have a love for this area that shows, and they shared many tips on things to see and do here. Based on our conversations I suspect that Fundy National Park is going to join Kouchibouguac as another must return place. And I've already decided that I want to see the Acadian Peninsula in other seasons too.


It's absolutely pouring out rght now. I'm sitting in my nice cozy room thinking it's time for some sleep, and listening to the sound of rain. I'm hoping that Environment Canada is right with their forecast of 'Cloudy with sunny periods' for tomorrow. It's supposed to be cool; cool and dry sounds good to me.